The University of Chicago 3T MR Imaging Research Center houses a research-dedicated high field Magnetic Resonance System (3T-MRI). The facility has the necessary equipment for functional MRI (fMRI), structural MRI as well as devices for presenting visual and auditory stimuli to people undergoing fMRI scans and recording their behavioral responses.
Associated with the imaging center is an excellent group of researchers working to develop magnetic resonance imaging methods and apply them to brain mapping in relation to neuroscience, psychology, psychiatry, and social sciences.
The scanner at BRIC will undergo an upgrade. This project is scheduled to start on March 7, 2015, and will take about two months, maybe a little less. This does not mean a new scanner, but it is a serious hardware/electronic and software upgrade. The primary components of this upgrade are:
- A new split (TX) transmitter with slice-by-slice optimization of excitation pulses to significantly improve uniformity of excitation.
- Addition of Philips ‘D-stream’ technology based on integration of signal-to-noise ratio.
- Improved detectors including a 32 channel head coil, and specialized coils for body imaging including dedicated breast and prostate coils.
- Integrated MRI-guided HIFU.
- Improved monitoring hardware and software for fMRI experiments.
- Improved pulse sequences and data analysis software for fMRI, susceptibility-weighted imaging, and arterial spin labeling, and fat-water imaging.
Brain Imaging Seminars
- Click here to visit the main symposium page: http://neurology.uchicago.edu/page/2015-chicago-symposium-translational-neuroscience
- Click here to register to attend:: https://neurology.uchicago.edu/content/2015-chicago-symposium-translational-neuroscience-registration-form
- Monday - Friday: 8:00 a.m.—8:00 p.m.
- Every other Saturday (two weeks' notice required): 9:00 a.m.—5:00 p.m.
MR safety classes are scheduled on the third Wednesday of each month, 3:30 p.m.—5:00 p.m. in BRIC Q-300 conference room and are mandatory for 3T users who will access 3T MR scanner suite at AMB Q300. To register for MRI safety training, please email technical director Xiaodong Guo.